Robust populations of Merriam’s wild turkey can be found across Southern BC. Wild turkey numbers in BC and their distribution have expanded from populations in neighbouring Montana, Idaho and Washington state.
British Columbia provides hunting opportunities for wild turkey in Regions one, four and eight. Turkey hunting is a lot of fun and for many hunters, it’s the first opportunity to start hunting after the winter is over.
For new and first-time hunters, wild turkey hunting provides a fantastic hunting opportunity and a chance at getting some amazing wild game meat. Wild turkey hunting, like many game birds’ hunts is akin to the fly fishing of hunting. There are some important skills, tactics and calls that you need to learn about to finesse these weary prehistoric raptors into shotgun range.
It has been said that, it’s not that wild turkeys are smart – it’s that they fear everything.
Join us in this hunting workshop specifically designed for new and first-time hunters. The objectives of this workshop are to provide new hunters with the basic skills and knowledge to have an enjoyable and success first wild turkey hunt in British Columbia.
- Wild turkey history, ecology, behavior and biology
- Scouting – what to look for in the pre-season
- Developing a hunt plan – how to find gobblers
- Calls and calling strategies
- Decoys and effective decoy set up
- Hunting gear and clothing essentials
- Most common scenarios when a gobbler is coming into your set up
- Shotgun essentials and shells
- Shot placement and shotgun patterning
- Hunting regulation
- Field care of harvested birds
- Tips on preparation and cooking
Upcoming Turkey Hunting Workshop Dates
Registration and Costs
This will be a fun and question-filled hunting seminar. Let’s get you out in the turkey woods this spring!
Cost is $125 / person.
We will have several donated door prizes from some great sponsors.