In order to become a hunter, BC residents must complete the Conservation Outdoor Recreation Education Program (CORE). The CORE program provides an overview of the hunting laws, ethics, animal identification, and firearm safety.
The EatWild CORE class is delivered over seventeen hours of mandatory course requirements and testing. This includes twelve hours of classroom, one hour of testing, and four hours of video lessons that you can watch on your schedule. EatWild offers an additional four hours of how-to-hunt video podcast lessons free of charge.
You must review these videos and podcasts in addition to attending the scheduled classroom time:
- Orienteering- getting back to the truck or camp
- EatWild – Lost in the woods
- EatWild – Where do I aim at a deer? – shot placement
- EatWild – How to Field Dress a Deer (Gutting a Deer) V2
- EatWild – How to hang and skin a deer on the meat pole
- EatWild – How to Find Game After the Shot – Elk Hunt in the Rockies
- EatWild – Picking up the blood trail
- EatWild – Skinning and Boning Out a Deer – How to Backpack an Animal Out from the Field
- Meat Care – Packing, Hanging, and Transporting Game
- EatWild – Sheep Hunting Country – Camp, Food Cache, Hiking and Spotting Sheep
- EatWild – What Rifle Should I Buy? – Part 1 Caliber
- EatWild – What Rifle Should I Buy? Part 2 – Choosing a Gun
- EatWild Podcast 15 – Safety in the mountains
- EatWild – Still Hunting Techniques
- EatWild – Spot and Stalk – AliasCinema
- EatWild – Alpine Hunting Camp Setup
- EatWild – Towing or Dragging a Deer Back to the Truck
- Preparing for a Backpack Hunt – What’s in my pack
Additional how-to-hunt content:
- EatWild – Packing a Backpack
- Storm is coming – How to set up a tarp
- EatWild – Climbing Up the Mountain – Route Finding and Terrain Assessment in the Alpine
- EatWild – How to Butcher a Deer at Home – Cut and Wrap for the Freezer
- Listen to the EatWild Podcast
Registration and Costs
Click here to view our upcoming course schedule. From the schedule you can view availability and register for you preferred course. Keep in mind the course date is the starting date, pay attention to the structure of the course. We run courses over three consecutive weekdays or over a weekend.
Course costs are $195 per person. This includes a CORE Handbook, snacks and coffee.